Thursday, October 15, 2015

Problem Solving Approach Lab Reflection

This week I got pretty good feedback on my problem-solving approach lesson. We had to develop a lesson that challenged students to solve a problem. Sounds like an easy task (or at least I thought so), but I struggled to create a lesson for this lab. I spent hours just narrowing down a topic because I couldn't think of a great way for students to solve a problem. This reflection is based almost completely on my preparation process and not the presentation of the lesson because that is where I struggled.

During my lesson planning I kept thinking: Should I have them design a landscape? Is that even a problem? Should I have them diagnose a sick animal? Would that be too in-depth for high school level? Should I have students identify potential pollutants? I jumped around quite a bit until I finally just picked one. I decided not to perform the pollutants lesson because I already mentioned it in class earlier this week and thought I should pick something different. It was a toss-up between the other two, literally. I actually just flipped a coin and decided on animal disease diagnosis.

My struggles didn't end there. I spent way more time through this whole process than I anticipated. Hours went by and I finally picked a lesson. My next struggle was finding information that wasn't beyond high school level, but yet would challenge students. I ended up just creating my own case study for students. A lot of information out there is designed to challenge College level students and Veterinary students. So I designed the lesson from scratch because it was easier than trying to simplify any case studies I did find.

Facilitating group discussion
Here's the basics to my final created lesson: Students briefly learned/reviewed the physical examination process of an animal. We then role played that I (the teacher) was a pet owner and the students were veterinarians. Throughout the review of the physical examination process they were to ask questions and observe my pet dog, Molly. They used FFA Vet Science CDE disease packets to individually diagnose Molly and then worked in a  group to make a final decision on what they thought was wrong with Molly.  I designed the lesson with one disease in mind knowing that students could potentially diagnose differently. In this exercise there were no tests so they had to diagnose the dog based only on symptoms they heard from the questions they asked.

My seemingly endless hours of stressing over this one lesson plan did pay off in the end. I got pretty good feedback from my peers and professor on the student problem-solving activity. I still need to work on that gosh darn enthusiasm and my transitions could use some help, but at least the planning paid off.

For future lessons I think more time should be put into the flow of the lesson and not worry so much about narrowing down a topic. More time into the planning process will benefit my lesson presentation ultimately. 

After all, "Those who fail to plan, plan to fail." - Winston Churchill

4 comments:

  1. Stacia!
    Glad to hear that the planning paid off, but I am sorry that picking the lesson was so stressful. I think that because problem solving approach lessons are so question oriented, etc. it is important to have the right lesson. However, the most important part is that students are identifying a problem and trying to solve it. A wise #psuaged15 student once told me "better to be done than perfect!" Sometimes it's hard, but we just have to choose something and go with it.
    Again, I am so happy that the planning helped... enthusiasm is a struggle, so awesome job for your continued efforts to work on it. You can do it!
    Also, I love your Winston Churchill Quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacia!
    Glad to hear that the planning paid off, but I am sorry that picking the lesson was so stressful. I think that because problem solving approach lessons are so question oriented, etc. it is important to have the right lesson. However, the most important part is that students are identifying a problem and trying to solve it. A wise #psuaged15 student once told me "better to be done than perfect!" Sometimes it's hard, but we just have to choose something and go with it.
    Again, I am so happy that the planning helped... enthusiasm is a struggle, so awesome job for your continued efforts to work on it. You can do it!
    Also, I love your Winston Churchill Quote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacia - I had the pleasure of getting to watch your video clip and it was super evident that your hard work paid off! I thought your lesson content was great for a high school level, it certainly called your students to a higher level of thinking and created great application for real-life veterinary science careers. I know animal science is your passion, I'll encourage you to dive into the learning with your students, helping guide the learning by providing effective questioning and transitioning and helping them get equally as passionate and excited about the content.

    Keep rocking it out, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacia: I truly did enjoy watching your teaching on the ThereNow. You did a fantastic job and I could really tell that your "students" really did learn and become engaged the entire lesson. You made sure that you were stressing the importance of higher level thinking and of course fore-shadowing what it would be like as a vet and really liked that idea (like I said I'm going to steal this from you). Keep working on all of your lessons and I know you are going to be a stellar student teacher in the spring!

    ReplyDelete