Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Interest Approach reflections

As I settle in to my apartment for the night I'm making some time to think about how my lesson in class today went. For any readers not familiar with AEE 412 (Methods of Teaching Agriculture), it is helping us get into the groove of how we will teach. Lab is specifically designed for us to present these mock lessons to fellow cohort members and receive feedback in various ways. Today we presented a 5-10 minute interest approach. An interest approach is used to capture the attention of your students and get them excited for the lesson. My interest approach was almost exactly 5 minutes which will work well (I think) for my 42 minute class sessions when I student teach at Wellsboro Area High School.

My interest approach to a pesticide lesson involved passing out candy to half of the class and they had to pretend they were their crops. I tried to give them ownership of their crops (like a farmer would typically feel about their crops) and even asked the to set them up and describe what they were growing. I had the students step aside while the other half (in this case only one student was left of the 3 person class) became the pests. To wrap up the interest approach and introduce the lesson I asked questions about how they felt about a pest damaging their crops, how they could prevent it, and even had them break down the word pesticide to understand how to define it.

I find that I tend to immediately think I did worse than I actually did. Following my lesson I felt that I fumbled questions and didn't react as well as I could to peer role playing. This was the first session that we were assigned a role while our classmates taught. For instance, I played the student distracted by technology, specifically my cell phone. The role playing from my classmates, I will admit, threw me off a bit. Immediately after the lesson I kept thinking that I could've handled the situation better although I wasn't sure exactly how.

Basically, my fellow pre-service teacher candidate was assigned as the class clown. She really challenged me like a typical high school student would. Throughout my 5 minutes she pretended not to be interested and made comments suggesting she was "too cool for school". I felt like it was making me laugh (a nervous reaction) and I wasn't sure what to say to get her interested and on task. I tried to act like it didn't bother me and keep the instruction going as planned. Although I was aware of it, the video didn't show it that noticeably so I think I was effective.

After watching the video of my lesson, I don't think I did as poorly as I felt and my classmates and professor rated me pretty well (that has to count for something!). Although I did better than I thought, I still need to work on my teaching techniques and strategies. I thought I was able to pick up my energy for this lesson, but my evaluations evidence that I still need to be more enthusiastic and engaging. I will have to continue working on that! Any suggestions for classroom management or being an enthusiastic teacher are more than welcome!

6 comments:

  1. Stacia, what a creative way to get a pesticide conversation started! I am by no means an expert; however, I would encourage you to not stress too much over the classroom management. It will come. Keep watch of how we all handle similar roles and ask questions about certain scenarios during discipline derbies in 295. As for being engaging, work the room! Make your students eyes follow you, sit in their seats, raise and lower your voice. If you feel like you are way over excited or animated for your students, you're probably right on par. Keep up the good work, woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacia, it was neat to watch your video and then read your personal reflections on how you thought your lab went. Your interest approach was unique and creative but I challenge you to own the stage. You are the power to create and atmosphere you want! You mentioned trying to be more enthusiastic last week as well, intentionally push yourself to plan for change of tone and volume and dramatic body movements. Write it down and practice it. It will feel uncomfortable at first but you will find your niche of energy and enthusiasm the more you teach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacia, very neat interest approach!
    Not gonna lie, it sounds tough to make pesticide lessons super interesting but you nailed it. Oftentimes we are our worst critics and think we did awful when really we should view it as some opportunities to try better next time.
    Suggestions for classroom management and enthusiasm, that's tough. Classroom management I feel will come with time, but make sure to really command the stage and "own" the room. You are the teacher and an authority figure. Additionally, for enthusiasm, by just moving around and smiling, your students will already be forced to keep up with you. I said this last week but enthusiasm looks different on different people, so don't try to emulate someone else, find your own groove! Great work Stacia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your interest approach was good and I thought that it was very engaging! I agree, your nervousness did not show through as much as you made it seem. You did a good job with managing your students! We all need work and I know you will do a great job at correcting your mistakes and keep moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your interest approach. It created suspense for the student (me) who didn't get any crops. I had fun and it really introduced your topic. Questioning is one of the hardest things to do in a classroom and setting up the rest of the lesson can be done with the correct questions. Even though you fumbled some, i thought you did a great job with the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are going to meet and brainstorm how to increase our enthusiasm. We will figure out something! but it sounds like you interest approach was very fun and engaging for the students so that is what really counts at this point!

    ReplyDelete