Tuesday, November 3, 2015

My adventure with Greenwood at the National FFA Convention!

Unlike all of my fellow student teachers, my cooperating center (Wellsboro: Grand Canyon FFA) did not attend the 88th National FFA Convention. Basically, they go every other year (to keep it something students have to work for) unless they are competing nationally. This year just so happened to be an off year. I was extremely disappointed since I have already developed a relationship with Grand Canyon FFA officers and have gotten to know some students. I was lucky enough to still be able to attend the convention, just not with the group I would be student teaching in the Spring. Instead, the Greenwood FFA chapter adopted me for the week. Mrs. Pontius and Mr. Clark teach the Greenwood students and advise the FFA chapter. They were kind enough to allow me to take on the advisor role with their students for the week.

Before my experience started I was nervous about advising students I had never met before. I was anxious about how they would take to this strange outsider being in charge or how they would react to my presence at the convention. Plus, I was missing the Grand Canyon FFA members! Although more time with the Grand Canyon FFA would've been ideal, spending time with Greenwood FFA was a terrific experience.

It was clear that the teachers at Greenwood develop a working relationship with students based on respect, trust, and dedication. Because of the respect built between the teachers and students, Greenwood FFA members conducted themselves responsibly throughout the whole trip. The Greenwood teachers trusted the students and their ability to conduct themselves that the very first day of convention I (and a parent chaperone) were left with the bulk of the group. Some students were competing in the Novice Parliamentary Procedure Competition and both the teachers attended while trusting myself and the chaperone to take the other students to the Kentucky Speedway and the

Kentucky Horse Park. The teachers mentioned it and it was clear that if you have terrific students that understand what is expected of them, you can do extra fun things. They would not have been able to pawn off 12 ill-mannered students on a student teacher they didn't know to truck them around Kentucky.

I have only been to one other convention (last year) and I travelled with Penn State to recruit FFA Members into the College of Ag Sciences. This year was so different being placed into that advisor role, and in so many ways it was so much better! I had more responsibility since I was with a group of 18 students all week, but the rewards of bonding with these students were unforgettable. In just a week I got to know the students I travelled with as we attended general sessions, concerts (chorus, band, and Jake Owen!), and explored Kentucky.

My biggest take-away from this experience was that the relationship between students and teachers is critical for a happy student and a happy teacher. The teachers at Greenwood show their students that they care about them as people and show them a certain level of respect. They have developed a relationship with the students where they feel comfortable coming to their teachers with problems and telling them about their day. The Greenwood teachers have found that "sweet spot" where students can come to them, but yet respect them. I could not have had a better trip because Greenwood treated me like I was a third advisor, they treated me like a member of the 'Greenwood family', and even asked me if I could student teach there. This National Convention trip was unforgettable and really showed me how important it is to show students you care about them and encourage responsibility.

Check out some highlights of convention AND check out a few seconds of Greenwood FFA (and myself in the back) getting excited for the convention at 1:35! The video is not yet on youtube, so check it out on the National FFA Organization Facebook page.



No comments:

Post a Comment