Friday, March 25, 2016

What is SLO?!


The Pennsylvania Department of Education defines a Student Learning Objective (SLO) as a process to document a measure of educator effectiveness based on student achievement of content standards.  Basically, SLO's are used to evaluate teachers based on student achievement. While at Wellsboro I have been implementing some SLO research by trying to determine if online or paper homework is more effective for student completion.

SLO research data
I realized in my first few weeks that I struggled getting my students in Animal Science I to complete homework assignments on time. I decided that I could look deeper into this. Specifically, if I understand how I can provide homework assignments through the most convenient platform then maybe I could increase the amount of students completing homework assignments.

At the start of this research I thought that online assignments would have a higher completion rate. I thought this mostly because Wellsboro is a one-to-one program meaning every student has a laptop. I thought with such easy access that there would be more students completing homework. I know there are various variables that could affect the outcomes of my assignments, but I found that my students more readily completed the paper assignments.

Over 2 weeks I recorded the homework assignments I assigned and how many of the students completed them in each class. I have 2 periods of Animal Science which gave me more data to work with (another reason I chose to work with Animal Science). My findings really have me interested in why I had better completion of the paper homework copies. Just reflecting on it, I have a few theories: 1) Maybe those homework assignments were shorter and easier for students to complete or 2) Having a paper on them reminded them that there was an assignment instead of having it on their online portal that they may not look at again for the rest of the day or 3) They had multiple days to complete the online assignments and not the paper assignments so maybe it gave them more time to forget the assignment. I'm really not sure if my data was accurate because of the varied assignments, but it really has me thinking of how I might want to communicate with students about homework completion. I may have to assign more paper than online and maybe implement a process to remind students of homework!

No comments:

Post a Comment