Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Mid-Winter FFA Convention at the PA Farm Show

As many of you know, I had my very first day of student teaching on Monday, January 11! I'm uber excited to to get to know all the Wellsboro students and Grand Canyon FFA members throughout this student teaching journey. Monday was a great start to this journey of becoming a teacher for many reasons.

First: I had the opportunity to get to know some of "my" students (still so weird to say!) in a context that is different from the typical classroom. Having a trip to the PA Farm Show provided an environment where students felt comfortable getting to know their new student teacher.

Second: The Mid-Winter Convention at the Farm Show was a new and exciting experience for me. It was heart-warming to watch some new Grand Canyon FFA members receive their first FFA Jackets as well as support the students receiving their Keystone Degree.

Third: Who doesn't love visiting the PA Farm Show?! Starting this journey with a trip to the 100th PA Farm show is just so appropriate.

As I start this 15 week (or lifetime depending on how you look at it) Ag Ed journey, I think now is a great time to set some goals for myself to maximize student teaching. There are a lot of little goals I have including getting assignments done early in the semester, eating healthy, getting lots of sleep, and various other all, though important, goals.

Students shared their knowledge of White-Nose in bats
 FFA members presented on the 6175R
Jacket recipients















My most critical goals, though, pertain to the students I will see everyday. My goal is to challenge the students to do their best without frustrating them. I want them to realize how great they are through the work they do in and out of the classroom. I also want to show students how much I care about each one of them. I really want to know of the students names within the next few weeks and show them respect by grading assignments quickly and putting 100% of my energy into this experience. I believe that if they see how much I put into their educational experience that they will be more likely to put effort into their work.


Basically, this is the start of a very difficult journey for me. I will be challenged to get out of my comfort zone and keep moving even when it seems like I have nothing left, emotionally and physically. For the next 15 weeks I will be putting everything I have into this experience for myself and for the wonderful students I am getting to know. My hope is that I will be rewarded with how much I put in by students who will appreciate all I will do and realize their potential in the real-world after high school. Bring on the next 15 weeks!


Grand Canyon FFA Members in their new jackets!

1 comment: