Friday, January 22, 2016

Student Teaching... Week 2!

The principal's puppy visiting the Ag Room
It's crazy to think about how much happens in just one week as an Ag (student) Teacher! It was still just my second week so there are new experiences every day. This week (although it is the second week) was the first week I got to experience being the teacher. I picked up periods 3 and 4 this week - The Animal Science I classes. They are 2 separate classes, but the same lesson is done in both classes so it's still not too much work. Teaching the same class twice in a row is a new experience for me and it was interesting to see the differences in the flow of lessons. I started with this class since my background knowledge is heavily in animal science.

The very first day went well in my opinion, but it was also frustrating because I got everything done right on time for the 3rd period class, but had to cut out 2 different activities in the 4th period class. Yes, the periods are the same length. And no, I have no idea how I did perfectly in the first class, but messed up the second class! It still went well and I noticed time running out so I made sure to go through everything important (like expectations!). I need to be aware of timing for the duration of student teaching and I figured that might be a challenge for me. This is also a challenging class to start off in because both sections have 20-28 students enrolled. Having minimal experience in a "real" classroom makes it a little nerve-racking having to control, educate, and entertain that many students.

Committee Work at the Grand Canyon FFA monthly meeting
It is also worth noting that this week was the first Grand Canyon FFA meeting I was able to attend. Students run the meeting efficiently using parliamentary procedure (the best they can anyway!) and most of the time was spent diligently working in their committee groups. I'm excited to see how their planning pays off for the various events and activities such as the FFA Dance, FFA Week (where they have mini events everyday and themes to dress for), Farmers Breakfast, Hoss's Night, etc. The Farmer's Breakfast is especially exciting for me because my parents are going to be visiting to support the FFA and then explore Wellsboro!

Week 2 down and can't believe how fast it is already going!

2 comments:

  1. Stacia, I'm really excited for my first visit. Sounds like you have jumped right in and are learning lots! Timing is something all teachers struggle with at time. Sometimes just having an increased number of students in a class can totally change the dynamics and how efficiently you move through the lesson. Keep doing great things!

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacia,
    Thanks for sharing! Keep pushing & stretching!

    ReplyDelete