Friday, January 15, 2016

Student Teaching.... Week one complete!

Students presented SAE projects: raising
Pekin ducks and teaching a deaf, mostly blind dog basic tricks
I can't believe the first week of student teaching has flown by already! Since I've arrived Sunday, I've gotten to know so many great students (yes, I even saw students Sunday!) and have really gotten a feel for what it means to be an agricultural educator. Teaching Ag never has a dull moment and in one week I've had my fair share of animal encounters in the classroom (snakes, guinea pigs, dogs, ducks, etc.), attended my first faculty and department meeting, and tended student CDE practices for Parliamentary Procedure and Forestry. It was a busy week!

Forestry CDE practice: The guinea pig is learning too!
Although it is only week one and I haven't been put in charge of any courses yet, this week has been eye-opening for me. I'm seeing first hand how much an ag teacher does for the students. I even told my cooperating teacher, Melanie Berndtson, tonight that I respected agricultural educators before, but now it's a whole new level! It's funny how you believe some things, but it is taken to a whole new level when you see or experience it yourself.

This week I became aware of how passionate some students can be. Although I was tired this week, I thoroughly enjoyed the time after school spent with students who wanted to learn more about their subjects to excel at CDE's. Having never attended an ag program while I was in school, it was refreshing to see these students. I am so envious of them since I haven't had the same opportunities they have, but I am so grateful that I can be a part of this process on the advisor side. Observing the Parliamentary Procedure and Forestry practice was the highlight of my week and I am looking forward to coaching my own team. I may even assist the Parlia Pro team!

My week in school is over... but I get to go back to farm show tomorrow with students for the second time this week!




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Watch out for those guinea pigs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Student drive and investment into their learning always energizes me and keeps me going! Sounds like you had a great week! Keep up the good work!

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacia! WOW what a week! You are definitely experiencing a lot of incredible Ag Ed shenanigans already! Us "northern tier" student teachers have to stick together so keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete